Antoine Joseph Sax patented his new musical instrument today. He was pretty proud – he called it a saxophone.
Today’s big-time sports news!
- Today in 1875, Aristides won the first Kentucky Derby. He did not, however, fly to the Preakness the next day.
- Today in 1996, Habib and Whitaker make 320 for 5th Cricket wkt, Leics vs. Worcs. Is any of that English besides the word “cricket”?
- Today in 1980 Kumar Anandan balanced on one foot for 33 hours! Well, it’s sort of athletic… I can’t do it!
Sing; “Day by day. Day by day. Oh, dear Lord…”
“Godspell” premiered today in 1971 off-Broadway.
The longest cab ride ever…
… Happened today in 1989. 14,000 miles and it cost $16,000. Well, it might’ve been the most expensive cab ride ever, but it certainly wasn’t the longest! The longest would’ve been a 15 day cab ride from JFK airport to the Algonquin Hotel one afternoon in 1975. I was in the backseat and can verify the ordeal.
It’s Navy Day in Argentina
Which is apropos of nothing around here unless Lake Cumberland’s water level has risen more than we planned.
Three film birthdays of interest;
- Maureen O’Sullivan was born today in 1911. Ms. O’Sullivan played Jane in many Tarzan films. This “Jane” name is an important totem in our household, so homage must be paid. As Jane, Ms. O’Sullivan’s beauty tamed the beasts and the savage heart of Tarzan, Lord of the Jungle. I like to think the same mechanism is in place in our home.
- Another “Beauty” was needed to tame the beast in Jean Cocteau’s captivating film; “Beauty and the Beast”. This Beast was played by the always impressive Jean Gabin. Mr. Gabin was born today in 1904.
- Dennis Hopper was born today in 1936. He is probably best known for his performances in “Easy Rider” and “Blue Velvet”, but in his younger days he was in a most intriguing quasi-horror film; “Night Tide”. I recommend it.
Drink 4 cast 4 2day
The blues singer/songwriter Taj Mahal was born today in 1942. A serious listening session must ensue accompanied by a;
Taj Mahal Cocktail
1 oz. Royal James Gin
1 oz. Calvados
1 oz. Apricot Brandy
1 oz. Lemon Juice
Fill a shaker with ice cubes.
Shake and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.