Our friends at Purple Toad Winery in Paducah are flying high these days.
Two weeks ago, Purple Toad Winery won six medals at the Indy International Wine Competition. They won silver medals for their Blackberry and Chardonnay/Peach and bronze medals for their Concord, Cabernet Franc and Zinfandel/Pomegranate wines. Congratulations, Allen!
Lots to celebrate today;
- In 1982, the first compact discs (CD’s) were released to the public in Germany and one of the first CD’s I bought was;
- “Kind of Blue” by Miles Davis. This mighty and highly influential jazz recording was released on this day in 1959.
- The Pike Place Market, the longest continuously-running public farmers market in the United States opened in Seattle this day in 1907.
Birthdays! Yes, we have birthdays!
- Actors Robert DeNiro (1943) and Mae West (1893) share this birthday.
- Singer Georgia Gibbs (1919) was born today, as was the “King of the Wild Frontier” Davy Crockett (1786). Yes, I have a CD by Ms. Gibbs and I used to have a coonskin hat. I’m not sure I’m proud.
Our “Drink 4cast 4 2day” is for Robert Fulton’s invention.
On this day in 1807, Mr. Fulton’s first American steamboat left New York City for Albany, New York on the Hudson River, inaugurating the first commercial steamboat service in the world. Could “Captain Andy” be far behind?
1 ½ oz. Southern Comfort
1 oz. lime juice
Throw some ice in a tumbler, add the Southern Comfort and lime juice and top up with clear lemonade, but don’t add too much. Garnish with a lime wedge.