Extra! Extra! Read all about it!!
This morning’s newspaper announced that Liquor Barn was voted the winner of the Readers’ Choice 2011 Award as “The Best Place to Buy Wine and Spirits”. I’ll certainly drink to that!
Thank you to everyone who voted for Liquor Barn and thanks especially for your patronage.
The best award, however, is the satisfaction that comes from being an active participant in our communities. That sounds so canned…but it’s accurate. Things like;
- Watching our employees working the wine tent at Brew at the Zoo and Wine Too.
- Hearing the roar at Summerfest when Liquor Barn’s sponsorship is mentioned.
- Working the “After Hours” events at the Speed Museum.
- Listening to our people discuss wine with the attendees of the Opera Society’s wine auction.
- Seeing so many current and past associates participating as actors, dancers, singers, directors, artistic directors, executive directors and board members in the arts groups that make Kentucky that much more special.
I believe our participation in these events and groups make the events and groups better and I know they help us get a little closer to becoming our best possible self.
Thank you for letting us participate.
There are other things to celebrate today.
- It’s Heroes Day in Malaysia. I don’t know exactly what that means but please dress appropriately.
- On this day in 2008, scientists reported the Phoenix spacecraft had confirmed the presence of frozen water in Martian soil. So…they have water. I think it’s time that our friend Eric Gregory gets some bourbon up there pronto!
- The radio mystery program “The Shadow” was aired for the first time. “The weed of crime bears bitter fruit. Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of man? The Shadow knows.” …and he’s always happy to tell you all about it.
- In 1992 Georgia joined the UN. They figured it was easier to win there than in the SEC.
Birthdays! We have birthdays!
- It’s a big day for piano players. Liberace (1911) and Hank Jones (1918) share this birthday. They did not play similarly.
- Actor Wesley Snipes (1962) and Kentucky’s own quarterback Tim Couch (1977) were both born this day.
- Gary Lewis of Gary Lewis and the Playboys (“This Diamond Ring”) was born in 1945. You could not get through the day without knowing that.
- Harry Potter’s favorite author, J. K. Rowling was born today in 1965.
But for our “Cocktail 4 2day”, we’re going back over 500 years.
In 1498, on his third voyage to the Western Hemisphere, Christopher Columbus became the first European to discover the island of Trinidad (cue the steel drums, please). What could better on a hot, sunny day than;
Calypso Cooler Cocktail
½ oz. Ron Diaz Spiced Rum
½ oz. Peach Schnapps
¼ oz. Myers Dark Rum
2 oz. orange juice
1 oz. grenadine
1 oz. lime juice
2 oz. lemon-lime soda
Put all ingredients except lemon-lime soda in a shaker. Shake well. Pour into an ice filled collins glass. Top with lemon-lime soda.